Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, March 18, 2013

if you build it.......they will come!


Haha so this week I have had alot of fun! Living with three other missionaries, two being american, is always a blast! We have been ´playing the movie quote game today so that kinda explains the subject line (field of dreams). But at the same time it also has a really good message behind it! Ill explain later

So this week passed by so quickly! I cant believe that I have 11 months in the mission. Its gone by so fast and im so scared for how fast its gonna go from here! So the areas been great. We have been working really hard and its really paying off. We dont have any baptisms yet, but those are sure to come next!

So heres a good story. Its about the importance of being a friend and an example to everyone. A few weeks ago we were heading to the bus stop to go home. We passed a home with a few people sitting outside and I started to talk with them! It seemed to be just fine when out walked a lady. When she saw us she started yelling at us and telling us to go away! I tried asking for an explination on why she didnt like us and she just kept saying that she doesnt ever want to see us again and she would never ever talk to us! I kept trying to talk to her but nothing was working. I finally said, `Why dont you like me? What did I do to you?´ Than she started telling a story about a missionary that passed by her house a long long time ago. I dont want to get into too many details but he wasnt a good missionary, and did something bad to that family. Ever since, this lady has had a hatred for us!

So I wasnt really sure what to do. I understood why she was mad at us but at the same time I wanted to explain to her that the sins of one man doesnt represent who we are as a church! I sat down with her on the side of the road and she didnt even want to look at me! I asked her if I could come back and she replied that she doesnt want to know about my church! I told her that next time I come over I wont say anything about the church, we can just have a nice conversation and be good friends.

So thats what happened. I went over there two times and, as promised, I didnt share a message. I noticed that everytime I was over she would open up to me a little more. She would even be a little sad when we left. Last night I passed there and when I walked through the door the first thing she said was, ``I want to know more about what you do!´´ I asked her why and she replied `Because Im lost and need help´´ for the rest of the night she shared her feelings and problems with me and we had a nice lesson about prayer. How cool is that? Its just one of the many examples of how we need to love everyone. Its an example of the spirit and the power he has to change people. Its proof that members of this church are examples to the world. They will see what we do. When they see how happy we are doing it, they will want it too:)

We have another investigator named Jessica and her mom Rose. They are really special. Jessica is a professional at lasso and she promised that she would teach me a few tricks so im pretty excited for that.

Remember Danielle, our baptism for this saturday? Well last week we told her that she needed to go to church this week or we would have to post pone her baptism. She was faced with a hard decision because her boyfriend came home from a 2 month trip on sunday and she wanted to be with him. Hmmm Church or Boyfriend?? Unfortunitally she picked the boyfriend and she cant get baptised this week.. Its kinda sad but I am excited to keep teaching her and preparing her for the waters of baptism.

So my companion has 4 weeks in the mission. The start of the mission is really hard for most missionaries. On Thursday night he kinda had a breakdown and on friday he just layed in bed and wouldnt talk to anyone haha. SO thats how I spent my birthday. Sitting in the house. On the bright side, I made pancakes!!!! Later that night, the bishop and his wife came over. They gave him a little pep talk and bought me a cake, some lunch, and a lot of fruit:) So it turned out good in the end:)
The bishop of this ward is awesome. He is a great example to me and a big help.



Well thats all I have to write about for this week! 

Love, 
Elder Horst 

Mother's note:

  Elder Horst sent me this announcement from his mission president:


Á From today, you are allowed to send e-mails outside the family, also friends, priesthood leaders and converts. Time internet usage will increase from 1:00 to 1:30. My only recommendation is to be wise in this important matter, sending e-mails brief and
edifying.

Elder Horst's email is    sean.horst@myldsmail.net


1 comment:

  1. Even in Brazil Sean always seams to make friends with everyone!! I Love this new announcement!!
    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged : )