Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, June 24, 2013

The Work of Salvation

Well im gonna start this letter by talking about the World Wide Training held by the First Presidency and Quorum of the twelve Apostles called the Work of Salvation. That meeting was an excelent demonstration of the importance of missionary work. They shared with us some of the changes in the way we work, the responcibility of members in conversion, and how we can become better teachers by relying on the spirit. I can testify that this broadcast was pure revelation given to the prophet from the Lord. I encourage all of you to apply the things that they said and you felt. For those of you that havent watched it, I encourage you to go online and watch it. If we all work hard and apply the revelation from our prophets and apostles, the work will flourish and shall be blessed.

Well, This week for me was very good. We worked hard and had alot of sucess. Last night I got a special call from President Castro. He called to tell me that I was promoted to Zone Leader! How cool is that? I feel that I am making fast progress in the mission and doing all I can to help the people here in Brazil. Im really excited to now be able to help all the missionaries in my zone and have a closer relationship with the president. My new area will be Agronomia in the zone Partenon in Porto Alegre. Im really exicted to be serving in Porto Alegre now.

Although it is always great to be transfered and start a new journey, its hard to think about all the people that you will miss when you leave. Its really hard to leave the people that you have loved and served for so long. Its not something that I can explain. Over the last 4.5 months here in Bagé, I have seen this ward flourish. The expansion of a meeting house in our area has blessed the lives of so many and I have seen the changes in their actions and hearts. I will never forget the soon to be Branch Prado Velho. I guess it was perfect timing to leave when the ward secratary announced to me that the Stake President was working on the papers to start a new branch.

Sunday was a really great day. I was able to give a talk on Revelation and at the end of the meeting say goodbye to my good friends. I really was sad to say bye to Marcia. I have seen miraculous changes in her ever since the first day I met her at church. Her faith and testimony has built mine so much, more than she could know. I am excited to see her grow continually. I know that in a few years she will serve a mission and help thousands of people become converted!

I also want to talk about Carla. Carla is my progressing investigator. Saturday we taught them how to have a family night. We had a fun activity and than made pancakes for them! They loved it and we had a great time. Carla kept making comments like,  when we get married in the temple.. or.. when my daughter goes on a mission... or when we get baptised.... It was really nice to know that she was so excited to doo all those things. Sunday she went to church for the first time with her children. She said that an hour before she left the house a whole bunch of people came over to visit. She was worried that she wouldnt be able to make it than said... I cant miss another week of church! I gotta go! It was really sweet to see her there.

I just want to end by saying that I know this church is true. I know that missionary work is important and we all need to be involved to keep the work going. Thank you all for your support and love.

Elder Horst

P.S. Congratulations to my long time friend Katie Toolan for getting her mission call to the California Rancho Cucamonga Mission!! Im excited for her and so happy that she chose to serve a mission.

Playing around on the railroad tracks.....










Sofia and me.  Sofia is the l l/2 year old daughter of our investigator, Carla.


Sofia's sister Maria, she was really sad to hear that I was leaving Bage.


Maria loves to say prayers and go to church.  She is super shy.


Elder Borges and I taught Ricardo and Carlo how to have a family night and made pancakes.



Pedro and his wife.  Pedro is the Ward Mission Leader and is really cool!!!


This is a lady in our ward.  She is mute so I can only talk to her with hand gestures.  It's really hard to understand and talk to her but she likes me a lot because I try.


Me and my good friend, Elder Henderson




The missionaries and the youth in the ward.


This is the church in the other area.  Carmen, her daughters Luisa and Marcia.
Carmen was the one that first invited Marcia to church.


Brother Nelson, Paulo Fernandes, and Joao.  Some of the priesthood in Prado Velho.


A protest in the center of the city because of rising bus fares in Brazil.


We decided to get in on the action and do contacts.  Just kidding, we just wanted a picture.


Jared and Debora,  members of our ward who always have fabulous lunches!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )