Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, September 10, 2012

Emergency Transfer! (this sounds familiar huh?)


Oi everyone! How has everyone been? Its been another really crazy day this week. At the beginning of this week the assistants called to say that there would be an Emergency Transfer. My brand new companion would be leaving! I could not believe it because we were only together for two weeks. He was really fun to be around. My new companion is Elder Cargel, a Brazilian. He is really cool and has a year and a half left in the mission. In 6 weeks I have had 3 companions and three trainers! Thats almost unheard of.

Its really hard to work in an area when you and your companion dont know how to get anywhere! Every day we ask people for addresses. Luckily, I had to use a map in my last job and I am really good at reading them! This area is a lot different from Pelotas. First of all, its huge. We dont have a ward, we have a branch of about 40 members. I love it! The members love the missionaries here and are a great help. The area here is a bit more rural! I wake up to cows and chickens every day! There are a lot more dirt paths and WAY TOO MANY HILLS! Phew, they are a killer! One time my companion and I raced up one, that was a bad idea!


Elder Horst in Sao Tome


Elder Da Silva


I am assuming that this is their area that they walk.


The elections here are starting to get really crazy. The day to vote is October 5th but every day it gets more annoying! On Saturday we were working a street, knocking on doors of people who have been contacted before. Out of nowhere a parade of a million cars drove down the street with music blasting and horns blaring! At one point a big truck drove by and the guy that was getting elected was on top waving at everyone! He gave me a thumbs up:) Trust me on this one thing, there is no way to have a conversation with people when a million cars are driving by honking their horns! Haha, but honestly I enjoyed it a lot. I would wave at everyone and cheer as they drove by.

On the Independance day of Brazil, we went to a members house to eat some bbq! It was delicious and I ate way too much! Right before I thought I would explode she pulled out some homemade ice cream in the shape of a cake with lots of chocolate syrup. It was bigger than I was! Oh my gosh, I ate so much and it was so good! I got the recipe and I want to make it again real soon! Ill let you know how it goes.





Lastly, this week I accomplished something great! I finished reading the book of mormon in Portuguese! Wow was that rough. It took me two whole transfers! I have to admit, I didnt understand a lot, but reading the Book of Mormon has helped me greatly with my language skills! I am so blessed to have this book in my life. A book writen by prophets that speak the word of God. Why wouldnt you want to read it?! My challenge to everyone is to read the Book of Mormon. If you have already read it, read it again! If you dont have one, ask my mom and she will give one to you! I promise once you do this, your life and the lives of your family will be blessed.

I hope everyone has safety and comfort this week. I want to congratulate my sister for having her second child this week, Benjamin David Campbell. Its weird that I dont know him... but now I have that much more to look forward to when I return home.

Boa Sorte Amigos!

Elder Horst





Elder Horst and Elder Da Silva on game day?


I sent Elder Horst 2 boxes of brownie mix in his parcel.  For the cost of the parcel, I estimate that each of the mixes cost almost $20 each :)


He's obviously excited about the brownies!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )