Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, April 8, 2013

Faith, obedience and confidence

Faith, Obedience, and Confidence seemed to be the major topic of General Confrence for me. I loved confrence this week and thought that all the talks applied to me in one way or another. I had the opportunity to see all the sessions except for the Priesthood session. Durring the songs, the words are in English, but everyone opens the hymns and sings in Portuguese. I decided to sing it in English with the video and it was really funny. Alot of people around me tried singing it in english too which was Really funny!

Well today is transfer day. All is well and no changes were made in my area. Elder Lambrechten (my roomate and zone leader) was transfered and guess who will replace him?? Elder Cox!! Wahoo! Its gonna be so fun having him in the house. Im sure that we will get along just fine! We are really gonna represent the Rocklin Stake and baptize everyone in the ward boundaries!

I have learned so many things this last transfer. If I could sum it up I would say that I learned tons about Faith, Obedience, and Confidence. Its funny how General Confrence applied dirrectly to my life when in all reality theyre talking to millions of people around the world. It definitally was not an accident, its just a testimony that God knows us and is here to help us with all our trials and problems.

This upcoming transfer I will be passing the one year mark on my mission. Im really excited for it and its a big landmark in my mission. For me, the one year mark is am opportunity to look back at everything ive done that last year. I get to see all the things I did good and all the things I did wrong. For my second year in the mission, I will work really hard to be better, and fix the mistakes that I have made the last year. I have learned so much on the mission and I am so exicited to learn more, have more fun, and baptize all the people in Bage!

Remember the lady that was really mad at me and now were good friends? Her name is Maria. This week we were able to teach her. We gave her a Book of Mormon and she reacted to it unlike any other person ive seen! When we pulled it out she had a smile from ear to ear! She quickly grabbed it and wrapped it in her arms. She kissed it and kept saying 创is it really for me??创 It was a wonderful sight to see. At the end of the night we commited her to read and pray daily and attend church this week. Maria has ALOT of work to do before she can be baptised but the Lord is full of miracles and Maria is full of happiness, peace, and the spirit when we are with her. I really have a good feeling about her. She is a very special daugter of God who has had a really rough life. Maybe its time that she recieves the special blessings of Baptism and can live the rest of her life in the arms of Christ and his church.

Okay heres a crazy story. Last sunday a girl went to church with her friend. We marked a date to see her on Tuesday. Tuesday came around and we went to her house but she wasnt there. We decieded to knock some doors in the area and come back in an hour or two. I wasnt really excited to go back to the girls house and I wasnt sure why, I just knew that I needed to go to help her out. I knocked on a random persons house and a kid answered. She explained that her parents would come home at night and would love to hear our message.

So we went back to our appointment and knocked again. This time they were home but they took forever to answer the door. Our of nowhere, a dog came running from the backyard and started barking at me. He seemed different from the other dogs, he was alot meaner and really hated me! He ran right up to me and I quickly bent down to pick up a rock. He tried biting my legs a few times but I threw the rock and the girl called him away. It was really intence! I was talking to the girl and we realised that we couldnt teach her because nobody else was home and we cant be alone with teanage girls!!

Again, out of nowhere the dog came again and started biting at my legs! This time he got my pants and ripped them! I got really really mad and kicked him in the face. It seemed to really hurt him cause he fell down and wimpered away haha. He was like the dog of satin!! So we left and I was really mad that the girl let her dog attack me and rip my pants! So for the rest of the day I had a fear of dogs attacking me (Ive never been scared of dogs on the mission). Every corner I turned their would be a group of dogs and it was really hard to work! I just wanted to go home.

So remember how we were knocking doors and someone told us to come back that night? at the end of the day we did that. When we got to their house there was a HUGE pitbull just sitting in front of their doorstep! My companion and I stopped in the middle of the road and we were too scared to get closer! The dog just stared at us. I felt that I needed to teach this family and baptise them and a fear of satin possesed dogs wouldnt scare me! I walked a little closer and the dog got really defensive! My compainon told me that we should leave and we did.

That night I was really upset and I didnt understand why all of this happened when Ive never had a problem with dogs in my whole mission!! I feel that I wasnt able to help those poor people come unto christ cause I let fear get to me! I decided to learn something from it. I started reading the Book of Mormon at page one and I read all about Nephi and how much confidence he had in the Lords work. I really want to have that kind of confidence in the Lord. Its been less than a week and im in Mosias. I have a whole page filled with scriptures that talk about confidence in the Lord. I have really learned alot from doing that.

So the moral to this extremely long story is that The Book of Mormon can answer all our questions and give us peace in our lives. If we always read the book and apply it to our lives it will give us comfort and teach us how to be better people! Oh, what a wonderful blessing from God!

So thats my week for ya! I hope that all of you will have a great week next week.
I love you all,
Elder Horst

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )