Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, July 2, 2012

I am in Pelotas

Hey everyone! There has been quite a bit going on this week! Last Tuesday I was able to leave the MTC and arrive to my mission in Porto Alegre! Before I get to that I will talk about last monday. Monday we were able to go out and do some street contacts for practice! My companion and I had a blast! We took the city bus to sAO Paulo Downtown and found a walking path with tons of people! In 45 minutes we were able to passout 12 book of Mormons! We were really proud of that and thought we did really good. It was good motiviation for the mission! Tuesday was a really long day. I had to wake up at 2,30 am! We took about an hour long bus ride to Campinas than flew to Porto Alegre. The flight took about 2 hours. I slept the whole entire time! President Swenson met us there and we drove to the mission home for training! It was nice to meet President Swenson but the only problem is he was released yesterday! Our new mission President is President Castro. Everyone says he is really nice so I hope I get to see him soon. After some training we meet our trainers. My trainer is Elder Davis from Utah! He is a really cool guy and we work hard together. We are serving in the Pelotas area. Its a really cool area. We cover the Fatima ward. Pelotas is big but our ward coveres the poorer area. Its either dirt roads or ^Cobble Stone. There are so many random dogs in the street, its crazy. I love the area so much. My appartment is really nice! It has a small kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and stuy area. Its definitally not much, but if were doing things right, we will hardly be in it! There is no such thing as hot water! Luckly there is a weird shower head that warms it up nicely. The down side to that is if you touch the shower head you will get a big electric shock and there are some exposed wires... haha! We have had some good lessons so far and have some investigators with good potential. The hardest thing to do is get people to go to church. Its really challenging for me to be in a room and not be able to say what I want to say! I have a really hard time understanding people, but I continue to try and talk as much as possible. Im so happy I dont get annoyed when people laugh at what im trying to say because it happens alot:) Heres something cool about The south of Brazil. Here they drink Chimarao. (shi-mo-how). Its a really gross drink. Basically they but some stuff in it that tastes like grass. Than they pour hot water in it and drink through a filtered straw. Once you finish the hot water, they fill it up again and pass it to the next person! Everyone drinks it all the time. All the missionaries say the more you drink it the better it tastes!! Thats all for this week. I hope everyone is doing well. Im excited to announce that my Brother (Addison) and his wife (Mabulane)are having another baby in January! Wahoo!!! Love, Elder Horst

1 comment:

  1. Elder Horst is doing so well in his first area! I love how patient he is with himself, and of course how positive he always is. :-)

    - Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged : )