Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, August 13, 2012

Dia Do Pais

Ola meu amigos! How is everyone this week?
 For me, this week flew by faster than ever! Now that I am in my second transfer I like to think that Im all settled in and I know exactly what is going on! This is not completely true, but I like to think that way. We are working very hard on getting new investigators! When you are in a small area you have to be very creative! Sometimes I feel like I have talked to every single person that lives in my area, but I know that there are plenty more people to find and teach!!!

I love Chicao's family!  Chicao and his wife Suce Clara, Malu (black shirt), Michelle (back, left) and her boyfriend, Elder Fereira, Elder Davies, Elder Measom, and Elder Horst.
This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago.



Sunday was a very special day for two different reasons! First, it was Fathers Day in Brazil, (Mothers Day in Brazil is the same as the states, but for some reason Fathers Day isnt!) Everyone asked about my Dad and I was really proud to talk about him! Only one question... How do you explain what a city manager is in Portuguese?? I have a hard enough time explaining it in English!! Also on Sunday was stake Confrence! That was such a great experience. Our stake building was filled with people! There were 4 tour busses that came because some wards were as far as 3 hours away. I sat so far in the back that the conductor of the music looked like he was off beat! We were able to hear from the Area Authority and the counselor of the Porto Alegre Temple. He was raised in Utah and now lives in Virgina and is now serving a mission at the Temple. Afterwards, he came up and talked to my companion and I... Probably because we were the only Americans there!!

The language is coming along just fine! People are saying that I am doing really good for the short time i have been here. When it comes to teaching and using ´Church Vocab´´, I am really good! I still have a hard time understanding ´normal talk´´, but that will come soon! I cant wait!

One of my favorite things to do here is have fun (obviously). I love learning about the culture and doing things that are new to me but that people like to do here. For example, Chimarrão. Its a really gross drink that always burns my mouth but I love it!! I drink it all the time. One time we went to a non members house and the mom was a bit crazy! Her kids were baptized but she still needs to get married. She was eating a lime that she dipped in salt! I thought it was crazy and told her that! She wanted me to try it and I graciously did! I can promise you that it was the most sour, and disgusting thing I have ever eaten!! She died laughing when she saw my face! It was gross but worth it because now we are really good friends:)

The weather has been super weird here! Its supposed to be cold but its so hot every day! Yesterday it started pouring rain and we got soaking wet! Luckily, we were able to run to an appointment and it wasnt too bad. Its always so humid here. The walls in our appartment once dripped water cause the air was so wet! IT was really cool. If its already this hot in winter, I cant wait for summer!!!

I hope everyone is doing well and having fun!

Elder Horst

I asked Elder Horst to give me details about any dog experiences.....This is what he said:

" The dogs arent too bad. Mostly they are really annoying and bark at my face. Every now and than one will get aggressive. Sometimes we just keep walking until it ignores us. If that doesnt work, or if its a big dog all you have to do is bend over and pick up a rock. They get really scared at that. If not, you throw the rock in their direction, if that doesnt work, you throw it at them! If that doesnt work... you run!! haha. but I havent needed to throw any, but i have pretended to a few times. Its not anything scary."

District Fatima


Cute, he said it was a beautiful day!


They bought some gauchos, Elder Davies' is on the top, Elder Horst's is in the middle and Elder Measom's is at the bottom.


Elder Davies, Elder Measom, and Elder Horst sporting their new gauchos!


Elder Davies and Elder Horst bought Elder Measom a good bye gift.
  (Don't know what it is....)He is home from his mission now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )