Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, August 27, 2012

American Ronaldinho gets an Emergency Transfer!


Bah!! What a week! (I´m pretty sure I say that every week). How is everyone? 
This has been the hardest week so far but I´ve also been the most blessed. The story starts last Monday. P-Day! Like usual, it was a great day. We ran lots of errands. We went to the post office to send letters. I love going there for a few reasons. First of all, in Brazil, they dont have the sticky stuff on the back of their letters! Its super annoying because you have to glue it and it gets all messy and I always mannage to get glue on my fingers or tie. Luckily, I still have a little stack of American envelopes. Thats one reason why I like going. I also like going because I send letters to different countries. It makes me feel important. The third reason is because the same lady helps me every time but she is always so shocked to see letters going to the states! Than she asks why and I have to explain that im American all over again! Super fun. We went to the church and played some futeball!! I loved it. Futeball here is super hard because you play on cement. You have to work really hard to control the ball but its so fun. I think im getting better! The Brazilians like to call me American Ronaldinho.... I dont know why... but ill take it!
Monday night we went to the church and filled up the baptismal font for the morning. Ahh, what a great sound! We set everything up, ran to a quick appointment, and called it a night! It was such a beautiful day. At 10:29 pm, as I was brushing my teeth, we got a call from the Assistants to the President (Never a good thing). My companions face gets red (normal) and I knew it wasnt gonna be good! As he got off the phone I sinked into my covers to finally rest for the night and he says, ´´Elder! Wake up! Your getting transfered in the morning!´´
Bah!! Seriously? President Castro called for an emergency transfer and wanted me to leave! I got up, packed, cleaned the appartment a bit, and went to bed really late at night. It was such a shock to me. The next morning we woke up early to go to the church and prepare for the baptism. Wahoo! The baptism went really well. Our little Yuri was baptised and is now a member of the church! I loved it. The baptism went great.. even if I got no sleep.. even if  would never be able to see them for who knows how long! Right after the family left, we bolted out the door with the Zone Leaders, got my bags, and took a taxi to the bus station. When we got to the bus station the assistants called. They said there were a few problems and I wouldnt leave til the next day! Ha!! We took another taxi back home and carried my heavy bags up three flights. We spent the afternoon going to a few appointments and saying goodbye to a few people. It was really great.
On Wednesday I was off! Unfortunately, I was companionless for the 4 hour bus ride, but luckily I was able to catch a few zzz´s on the bus! Now heres a cool story. I get to the bus station in Porto Alegre and it was huge!! I have been there one time before but I had no idea where to go to find the missionaries waiting for me. I decided to walk to where we all were last time and then put it in the Lords hands! Literally two minutes after waiting, a member comes up to me and we start conversing. She asks the usual questions, where I am from, how long I have been out, then she mentions how she just talked to some other missionaries at the bus stop! I asked where she talked to them and thanked her. I went to where she said and there were 3 missionaries waiting for me!! How cool is that? I have no doubt that the friendly member was a little angel sent to help me out in a really big building where I wasnt supposed to be alone. She had no idea that she had helped me but if she never talked to me, I could have gotten lost! Its a good testimony builder on how the Lord is watching over us. No matter how alone we think we are.. were not! He is our friend and he will keep us safe.
My new companion is Elder Da Silva. He is from northern Brazil and has a huge accent! He is the hardest person to understand. My area now is São Tomé, Viamão. Its huge! I love it and I can see alot of things happening here. Im super excited. Its definitally different not being able to talk about basketball and America everyday, but its totally worth it! Im struggling because its a little more difficult but each day I see so many blessings and I am having so much fun! Wahoo!
Heres another funny thing about Brazil. The politics here are ridiculous!!! I will never think American politics will be annoying ever again! In Pelotas, every half hour a car would drive down the road blasting a catchy tune on why you should vote for someone. I love it. I always start dancing and wave at the car as it passes. They also like to have parades. The best one had a huge truck blasting music with 4 cars behind it decked out in propaganda. To top it off, there were ten guys driving motorcycles with flags and people walking the streets with flyers!! (Ya I really want to vote for him now). There are posters everywhere! I get about six flyers a day! Its really funny because I tell them Im American and cant vote in their country but they persist to give me the flyer! Than I say im a missionary and cant be involved with personal opinions and they still want to give it to me!!! It makes no sense!! I love it here.
I have plenty more to write about but I think im done for today! I want to congratulate myself. I now weigh under 180 pounds! Before the mission I was just a tiny but under 200. Yay rice and beans! Anyways. I love you all and hope everything is well for another week in our great lives!
Love,
Elder Horst 

1 comment:

  1. Elder Horst,
    I was just wondering if I should comment when I saw your note that comments are encouraged - question answered!
    It is fun to read about your experiences and hear your testimony. I still remember visiting your family in FL when you were a baby... Time flies and here you are now a hard working missionary! Thanks for being willing to serve the Lord in this way and for blessing us with your testimony and experiences. I hope you have a great week and look forward to reading your next post.
    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged : )