Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, October 8, 2012

A Little Under the Weather! (the weather hasn't been that great either)

Hello Friends and family? How was your week? How was conference? Its officially October! Do you know what your going to be for Halloween? Im going to be a missionary:) I have to be honest, this week has been a bit slow, but nevertheless, it was full of blessings and miracles!

Monday and Tuesday it rained. We had a service project on Wednesday that was really hard! We moved a pile of broken bricks from the road to the guys back yard. It was a lot of work but it turned out to be a real big success! This pile of bricks has been sitting on the busy road for a long time! When people passed and saw that Missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ were cleaning it, it really gave us a good image! At one point, a parade passed by and someone running for mayor of the city was on top of a car talking to everyone on a mike. He looked at us and told us thanks for our service! He than went on to say that we need more people like these missionaries in the city! I thought it was really cool.

Ive been a bit sick this week... but if you know me, you know it hasnt slowed me down much. It started a bit on Tuesday. I had a headache and I felt kinda worn out! By Thursday I realized that it was another sinus infection haha. I called the mission home and I was able to get some medicine. It hasnt passed yet, but it will soon! Also, unfortunately my companion has had some really bad knees lately. In a few weeks he has an appointment to get them checked out at the doctor.

Saturday and Sunday I was able to watch conference! It was a bit different than im used to but, just like usual, I felt the spirit so strongly! Our president let us go to the Saturday sessions, but we were only able to make the second one. It was really great! The sessions were at 1 and 5 at night. Unfortunately priesthood was at 9 at night or 6 in the morning so we couldnt go to it... Its really fun to watch conference in Portuguese but its difficult too! By the end of each day I had a huge headache from trying to understand and absorb every single word! It was fun to hear the translations. In the last session, Elder Scott spoke. I wrote in my notes that the church does a really good job at finding translators because he sounds exactly the same as Elder Scott!! I also noted that this translator was particularly good because it seemed like he knew what Elder Scott would say before he actually said it! Thats when my companion told me that Elder Scott speaks Portuguese! He served a mission here when he was 19! Now, he translates all his talks into Portuguese! Thats one great way to use your talents!

Tomorrow we have the opportunity to go to the Porto Alegre Temple. I am very excited. The temple is a great place to feel the spirit and receive answers to our prayers!

When president Monson spoke Sunday morning, he told us to take an inventory of our lives. Think about all the things you have done and after write down all the blessings that the Lord has given you! I want to give you this challenge as well. We are blessed by the Lord every day but there are times when we dont really notice, or when we think that it was just a coincidence; Do this, and let me know how it goes, I will do it too!

Thats all for this week. Im glad to hear that all is well for you. Always do good and be on the Lords side, because you never know when he will call you to serve.

Love,
Elder Horst

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )