Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, October 1, 2012

Enjoy life and stay happy

Ola family and friends! How is everyone this week?

 For me, this week has been full of fun and opportunities to serve! First ill talk about the service. I havent lived in Brazil for too long, but im pretty sure that the only service projects they know how to do is move dirt from one side of the house to the other!! I did it in my last area, I did it this week, and we have another one planned for next week. On the bright side, I love dirt! I always seem to be the most dirty at the end of a project. So for this project in particular, we were moving a pile of dirt that is used to make cement from the road to the backyard because they were building another little house there. It was my companion and I, a shovel and a wheelbarrow. We took turns with each. We than realized at the same time that we could make a cool little cave! That gave us motivation to work hard and before you know it, we made a hole that we both could fit in! Than we pulled a good little prank. I hid in the hole and my companion ran inside the house to ask where I went. We had the member there convinced that I ran away until I popped out of the cave and scared her! It was all good fun and in the end I got the job done.

On Saturday we made a trip to Porto Alegre. There was a really big event at the church. It was kinda like a job fair with interview trainings and stuff. It was awesome. People from the whole state(some drove more than 4 hours) were there including tons of non members. Luckily I was able to be there. It was really fun. My job was to help people who had questions. I got to see some of my old friends from Pelotas too! Porto Alegre is about a 40 minute ride from my area using a public bus. I love using the buses!   I also love going to Porto Alegre because I am able to stop by the mission home and pick up my letters! Oh, that reminds me. The post office is on strike here. This apparently is a normal occurrence. I dont know whats going on. First I heard its on strike until November, then I heard that only half of the Post Office is on strike and I also heard that it already ended... I dont know. I will stop by there today to see if I can send some letters. As for you, feel free to send them:) Ill get it sooner or later!

Sunday was super great! It started, as usual, with church. We were one of the first ones at the church. When we got there, half the hallway was flooded!! Ahh! There was water pouring from one of the roofs. It was really sad to see. Luckily we were able to turn off the water, but it made a big mess. At night, we went to a members house to teach an investigator. His name is Cesah.. its a strange name.. Anyways, to our surprise, another family was there too! We were able to have a really amazing family night with them. My companion spoke on attitude and showed a few videos on his flash drive. I tied in how we need good attitudes to endure until the end! A lot of people cried and I felt the spirit so strong. Especially when one member bore her testimony. If you ever get the chance, go out with the missionaries and bear your testimony! It helps us so much and it will always invite the spirit.

Lastly, I want to talk about General Conference. Wow I am so excited! Its my first time as a missionary, first time in Portuguese, and im pretty sure its the first time going to the church to listen! We are so blessed to be able to watch conference in our own homes! I want to challenge all of you to watch general conference. We have the opportunity to listen to a prophet of God, someone who receives revelation from God! Why wouldnt you want to listen to every word? I am very excited for this opportunity and I hope you are too.

Enjoy life and stay happy,

Elder Horst

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )