Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Monday, February 4, 2013

My Poor Companion!


Well, this week has really changed the pace of our transfer! On Tuesday, we woke up and went to our weekly district meeting. My companion was feeling a bit sick but we just thought it was because of the water. (The last few weeks we have really been getting sick from the water... like using the bathroom all day sick. We bought some mineral water and now we are feeling much better!) When the meeting ended my companion pulled me aside and said that he was not sick because of the water! He reminded me that before the mission he had many problems with the kidney. He told me that he was feeling sick because he had a kidney stone! The poor guy... So Sister Castro set up an appointment to go to the hospital on Wednesday and check things out. Tuesday we pretty much took it easy in the house.

On Wednesday we went to the hospital in Porto Alegre. The doctor just set up another appointment (next week) and told him a few ways to be careful and prevent pain! I felt like I really took on the mother role this week! I packed him a bag for the hospital with water, food, and a few books! Every five minutes I seem to be asking him if he is feeling okay and if he needs anything. haha I think he thinks its real annoying! He cant drink soda and has to take it easy on meat and beans (EVERYTHING WE EAT HERE) so ive helped him out with that and kept him on track.

Dont get too worried or anything. My companion feels fine each day but we just have to take it easy. He doesnt have much energy and doesnt wanna overdo it! We usually get a few good lessons each day and not much more.

Since the week has been kinda slow, ill just share a few thoughts that are in my head right now. First, ill talk a bit to those preparing for a mission.  Buy a good backpack!!! Its your most important possesion that you will use each and every day! I bought a really nice, heavy duty, but breathable backpack. I like small backpacks. Mine only fits two books, my camera, and plenty of pamphlets. I feel like if you get a bigger backpack, youll just use that as an excuse to pack more, which will make you more tired throughout the day!

Okay, ya know how there are a few simple things that are annoying to you when they shouldnt be? Or things that you love to do but are really simple? Ill share a few of mine! I hate when people zip up my backpack. I like to have both zippers meet at the top.. for easy access next time. Everyone seems to zip it up to the side... Understand? Its hard to explain.

I love to run my head under water. I take two (sometimes 3) showers a day because its really hot. But when im not taking a shower I love to rinse my head under the sink faucet or shower. Its the best.

Im starting to lose my English really fast! People ask me to translate a word and I dont remember it! Luckily my companion speaks English pretty good so he replies for me:) Yesterday I thought that Robinhoods name was Robinwood.. It seemed so normal to me and my companion said.. isnt it Robinhood? I got really embarrassed that my companion knows more than me hahha.

So yesterday was the Superbowl huh? I didnt hear a word about it here! Yesterday was the gre-nal. Or Gremio vs. Inter. Its the big rival game here in Rio Grande de Sul. Its such a big deal to these people... and gremio lost. (its always my team that loses big games!)

Last week my mom asked me to take pictures of my shoes. (I think she just secretly wanted to inspect their condition because she knows I wont tell her!) So I shined them up a bit and snapped the shot. Two hours later in the road I took another picture.. They were so dusty! Why do I even try? haha.



I also sent a really funny video. Well.. I have a problem. I like to celebrate my birthday more than one time each year! I didnt remember about this, but apparently on facebook, my birthday is in January. Well here is a video of a party some of my friends had for me! Dont worry, I let them know it wasnt really my birthday, but we just had some good clean fun!

(Sorry, I couldn't upload it....)

I am rounding out 10 months in the mission field! Things are great and I feel really good. I feel so natural here in Brazil and I love living here! Im thankful for every day here and the opportunities ive had.

I guess this all for now. I hope you liked my extremely random email this week. Have a good time in the snow. Love ya!

Elder Horst

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )