Mis-sion-ary
(noun) someone who leaves their family for a short time, so that others may be with their families for ETERNITY

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Merry Christmas


Hello World!! How is everyone? Im sorry but I hardly have any time to write this week. This week is so crazy! I get tired just trying to plan for the week. But first, before I speak about this upcoming week, I will share a few stories from this past week. First, ill start with the bad news!

Monday night around 2 am I woke up to a very fierce wind and rain! It was almost bright outside because it was thundering so bad! The weird part is that it lasted for only about a half hour. The next day when we went to Porto Alegre for transfer day, almost half the city was destroyed!! Buildings fell down, lamp posts were bent.. just so many things were destroyed from a half hour of rain. Worst of all, we didnt have power or water! Long story short... The power kept turning on and off all of Monday-Wednesday. And we didnt have water for five nights in a row. The water would be on in the morning but really week, then when we arrived in the house that night there was no water!! IT was really frustrating but it turned out ok!! 

Funny story. Last night we didnt have water and I REALLY needed to take a shower. Next thing you know, it started pouring rain outside! My companion gave me the idea to take a bath in the rain... and thats what I did! I went outside with my soap and took a shower in the rain! IT was so weird but extremely funny too... I wouldnt take it over a real nice hot shower, but it was a great experience.

This week was really fun! We focused on visiting members and getting new investigators and we had alot of success!! It was my first week being senior and I loved it! I just felt a better sense of responcibilidade. This transfer is going to be so much fun. My companions name is elder Xavier. He is from Sao Paulo. He is so happy and ready to work. The best part about him is he loves to talk to people and share the gospel. He literally talks to everyone that he sees! Its turned out to be a great advantage because we really need to get some new investigators!

Our relationship with the branch is already starting to get alot stronger. I have gotten 20 families to promise to do a family night with the missionaries and a friend. They have from now to the end of February to do it. Thats going to help us so much with the missionary work we are doing.

This week is full of fun and meetings. Today we had a meeting with Elder Godoy.. dont remember his name. He is the area president and a member of the 70. Wow! it was such a great experience! When he was here I really felt the spirit and he taught me sooo much about missionary work. He also gave us some really big promises that have to do with obedience and baptisms! He made me really excited for the work. We also brought back our mission hymn. Its kinda weird, but I love it because its from the best mission in the world!!

Tomorrow I get to go to the temple and Im real excited!! Then on Wednesday we have our Christmas conference. Im soooo excited and I have a surprise for you and the whole mission on that day. As you know, im full of surprises and love to keep things fun!

I have a friend here named Paulo. He is my next door neighbor and soo soo cool. He loves to speak English with me and hang out. Whenever I made American food I always give some to him and he loves it! My new companion is a really good guitar player and last week we were talking about playing guitar. Paulo used to play but stopped because his wife didnt like it (haha). I said that I would love to learn to play. Next thing you know Paulo gave me his guitar as a Christmas present! How cool is that??? I can already play a few songs:) By the time I come home, i will be an expert guitar player!!

How exciting is it that Christmas is arriving! I am so happy to be here and I am loving every minute of Brazil and this mission! Sorry I cant write more...

Id also like to talk a minute in respect to the tragedy that happened this past week. I can say that it shook the world because I knew about it within the hour that it happened. The wonderful part about the true Church of Jesus Christ is the fact that we believe in life after death and I know without a doubt that those little children are sitting at the feet of Jesus Christ living a celestial life. What a wonderful blessing.

Merry Christmas,
Elder Horst

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged : )